Thursday, September 9, 2021

And the priest shall make atonement for him/them for the sin which he has committed, and he/they shall be forgiven.

Leviticus 4

And the priest shall make atonement for him/them for the sin which he has committed, and he/they shall be forgiven. Leviticus 4:20, 26, 31, 35

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing with chapter four - How God Deals with Sin - covering Leviticus 4:1-35, looking specifically at the theme God Forgives People for Present Sin. My post yesterday described how God provided the law to make sin known to us, so that we can then approach God for atonement.  This morning, the commentary highlights how Leviticus 4 describes God's treatment of unintentional sin, indicating how "unintentional" is used three times in v4:2, 22, and 27 based on how priests, leaders and common people are to purify themselves of unintentional sin. The ESV translation goes further, using "unintentional" in v4:13 in the context of such sin committed by the whole congregation of Israel. The commentary defines and unpacks the use of the word unintentional, stating as such sin is not premeditated or planned, we nonetheless can find ourselves involved in sin by "unthinkingly stray[ing] into trouble like sheep."  Isaiah 53:6 is referenced for its use of how we are all just like sheep that easily go astray.  The commentary discusses how unintentional sin is still sin nonetheless - it can simply be a matter of negligence - we stopped paying attention or we were less focused or aware of our surroundings or circumstances - mistakes happen.  But God of course sees all of this sin and provides a path for atonement for all of our sin whether it be intentional or unintentional.  The commentary points to v4:20, 26, 31, and 35, which states how sin is forgiven. We are urged by the commentary to see how God forgives all but it is not automatic - in the Old Testament the sacrificial system provided a path for atonement but with the Second Covenant, Christ died once and for all. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who forgives me for my sins - intentional and unintentional.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You forgive, for such mercy and compassion, and for all the other many blessings You pour out for me.  My sin continues...worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.