Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings from the wicked who are out to destroy me, from my mortal enemies who surround me.

Psalm 17

Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings from the wicked who are out to destroy me, from my mortal enemies who surround me. v8-9

Christians do indeed have enemies - there are certainly those who don't want us to practice our faith.  These may be other people, but Satan for sure is our enemy - see also 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Some quick digging this morning located this post - which is a keeper.  It is an excerpt from A.W. Tozer's book Rut, Rot, or Revival: The Problem of Change and Breaking Out of the Status Quo.  Tozer writes that Christians face yet another enemy, which is that of routine or what he calls rut - where we become predictable and we fail to push ourselves onward to where God is calling us - He certainly isn't telling us to stand still.  We are to grow.

Tozer uses Deuteronomy as an example of how God wants us to "move forward":

East of the Jordan in the territory of Moab, Moses began to expound this law, saying:
 
The Lord our God said to us at Horeb, “You have stayed long enough at this mountain. Break camp and advance into the hill country of the Amorites; go to all the neighboring peoples in the Arabah, in the mountains, in the western foothills, in the Negev and along the coast, to the land of the Canaanites and to Lebanon, as far as the great river, the Euphrates. See, I have given you this land. Go in and take possession of the land the Lord swore he would give to your fathers—to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob—and to their descendants after them.” Deuteronomy 1:5-8

Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God[.] Hebrews 6:1
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who has seen me through dark valleys and mountain highs....both through change and stagnation.  You have never left me or forsaken me...nor will You ever.  Thank You Jesus.  I am not worth such love.  I get caught in routine.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome such sin, turn towards You, love You with all of my heart, soul and mind, and love others as You do.  Help me GROW in my faith, and CHANGE.  Please give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.