Sunday, February 18, 2018

People who have wealth but lack understanding are like the beasts that perish.

Psalm 49

People who have wealth but lack understanding are like the beasts that perish. v20

Many of us, myself of course included, have grown envious of others when they achieve earthly success yet we fail to heed the words of both this Psalm and also of Jesus.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. Matthew 6:19

It's not that God wants us to be poor or that He minds us having wealth - it's our heart condition.  We shouldn't seek wealth or desire wealth above God.

See also Matthew 19:16-26 where Jesus addresses the "Rich Young Ruler".  


Paul also encourages us to seek the "surpassing worth of knowing Christ".

But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. Philippians 3:7-9

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who I know loves me and loved me even before I was born...knowing everything about me, including my brokenness.  Thank You Jesus.  I am not worth such love.  I worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.