Saturday, April 2, 2022

And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.

Revelation 12-14

And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death. Revelation 12:10-11

I continued with my D-Group's study of Revelation using Stephen Witmer's commentary and study guide.  For this week, the study looks at Revelation 12-14, which according to my commentary looks at "the spiritual reality behind and beneath [the] conflict [arising both within and without the church].  For today, I focus on the "Gospel Glimpses" section of the commentary for this week. The first passage of this section emphasizes one of the most critical aspects of the Gospel and how believers truly have freedom because "no accusation will stand" once Jesus died on the cross for us. I know this but like many other blessings, I often forget and perhaps even take for granted.  Today, I am starkly reminded of this truth and greatly encouraged by it. The commentary states: [b]efore the cross and resurrection of Jesus, Satan could accuse God’s people by arguing that their sin hadn’t been atoned for, since the blood of bulls and goats wasn’t sufficient for the task and God had simply “passed over” the sins of his people, that is, taken no action of any kind with regard to them (see Rom. 3:25). But through Jesus’ death, God made full atonement for the sins of his people. After the cross, Satan’s grounds for accusation are demonstrably invalid."  I am also reminded of Romans 8:1-2:

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. Romans 8:1-2

Comment and discuss this post

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who died in my place so that I could have freedom from the sting of sin and death - the greatest gift of all time!  Of course I am not deserving.  Please forgive me for my sins of worry, etc.  Help me overcome and turn from my sins towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.