Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Who has purposed this against Tyre, the bestower of crowns, whose merchants were princes, whose traders were the honored of the earth? The Lord of hosts has purposed it, to defile the pompous pride of all glory, to dishonor all the honored of the earth.

Isaiah 19-23

Who has purposed this against Tyre, the bestower of crowns, whose merchants were princes, whose traders were the honored of the earth? The Lord of hosts has purposed it, to defile the pompous pride of all glory, to dishonor all the honored of the earth. Isaiah 23:8-9

I continue my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series. Today, on Lesson 8, Day 5, the focus is on Isaiah 23, where we see judgement on Tyre, a maritime city in modern-day Lebanon that had grown very prosperous and wealthy. My commentary refers us also to Ezekiel 28 for a similar prophecy against Tyre (and Sidon). Idol worship of wealth and power are key sins of Tyre as is pride. My commentary notes as applications to "live boldly free from materialism in this present evil age; to be generous with our money, storing up treasure in heaven; to be suspicious of our flesh’s desire for the next new electronic device. It is for us to see Satan’s hidden presence behind the economic ebbs and flows of human history and to understand that God will judge it finally in the end (Revelation 18). It is for us to heed the warnings against worldliness in James 4:4 and 1 John 2:15-17, and to use the things of this world while not being addicted to them (1 Corinthians 7:29-31)." 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, every good and perfect gift comes from You - You alone provide for all of our needs, physical, emotional, and spiritual.  Help me remember this always and be grateful and not love the world nor conform to the patterns of this world by loving the world.  You have blessed me - I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues.  Help me overcome and turn from this sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.