Monday, April 4, 2022

In that day the Lord God of hosts called for weeping and mourning, for baldness and wearing sackcloth[.]

Isaiah 19-23

In that day the Lord God of hosts called for weeping and mourning, for baldness and wearing sackcloth[.] Isaiah 22:12

I continue my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series. Today, on Lesson 8, Day 4, the focus is on Isaiah 22, where my commentary states that "God calls on the citizens of Jerusalem to fast and repent; instead, they party and die."  We see how Judah saw an impending invasion - God's wrath to be poured out on them for their unfaithfulness - but instead of going to God in prayer and for guidance - instead relied on its own powers and then had a feast (v8-13)!  God sought for Judah to mourn and repent for its sin (v12) but they did not. God's response is harsh, where in v14 He says 'Surely this iniquity will not be atoned for you until you die.' My commentary summarizes the key takeaway to be for "the people of God to learn how to mourn for sin and how to trust fully in Christ. Mourning for sin is never easy, but it is truly part of the Holy Spirit’s work in us as we continue to struggle with sin....Ask God to search you and know you and show you if there is any deep-seated sin pattern that is destroying your life. When the Spirit reveals it to you, do not go too quickly on to happy feelings. Ultimately, trust in Jesus, the firm foundation for your life. Hang everything on him, and he will never let you go." We are encourage to also refer to James 4:9-10 and other verses where God hates sin and we share a disdain of sin in our own lives.

Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. James 4:10

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus - You are an awesome God and You provide a way out of sin - Yourself!  You give us victory over sin and death and true freedom!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings...my sin continues...daily.  Please help me see my sin, and please forgive me Jesus for my sin and help me overcome and turn from my sin - towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply You message for me today and every day.