Wednesday, April 27, 2022

And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

Mark 14

And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. Mark 14:26

This morning, I pause on my studies of Revelation and Isaiah to listen to today's devotion from Solid Joys from DesiringGod.com. This devotion reflects and meditates on song - of course, how God created it, it's purpose, and it imagines God singing.  Piper quotes 1 Chronicles 15:16 where it describes how King David returns the ark of the covenant to Jerusalem and how David instructs the Levites to "play loudly on musical instruments, on harps and lyres and cymbals, to raise sounds of joy."  The ESV Study Bible indicates that "[t]his marks a turning point in the history of Israel’s worship: the Levites are appointed, under David, to a new ministry of music and praise, which will be conducted in the presence of the ark." In the devotion, Piper states that God is infinitely joyful...because God "has rejoiced from eternity in the panorama of his own perfections reflected perfectly in the deity of his Son."  He then states that God "appointed song for us to release our heart’s delight in him." Amen!  Of course, we exist to worship and glorify God, and this is appropriate because our God is great indeed!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You are worthy of my song and worship - I KNOW I exist to glorify You.  You have blessed me beyond description and words - I am overwhelmed by Your blessings.  Thank You Jesus!  But I also know that I am undeserving.  I have sin and it is daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.