Sunday, April 7, 2024

And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us.

1 John 5

And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. 1 John 5:14

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my focus is a commentary-assisted review of 1 John 5:13-21, focusing specifically on a review of the main idea for the entirety of the text, the commentary's introduction/overview for this text, and the second division - which is "We Can Know That God Answers Prayer (5:14-17)". John also addressed in 1 John 3:22 where he shared that "God answers our prayers when we are (1) keeping His commands and (2) doing those things that please Him. John now adds a third requirement: (3) we must ask “according to his will” (v14)." Of course, the commentary shares how a believer's will may often not align that of God.  However, the commentary also shares that God's will is always better than our own. We are referred to Romans 12:2 where God's will is described as "good, pleasing and perfect." In v16-17, John moves to prayer of intercession, for someone who is in sin.  V16 is described by the commentary as one of the most difficult verses to interpret in all of Scripture." The subject of the verse is "sin that leads to death."  The commentary puts forward three options to explain this type of sin as: (1) "A specific, deadly sin. This is high-handed sin. It is sin that is willful and deliberate; sin that is of a serious nature; (2) Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.  This is a deliberate, knowledgeable, willful, verbal, and continual rejection of the truth to which the Spirit bears witness. It is a hardening of the heart to a degree that prayer will not help; or (3) Total rejection of the gospel and Christ. This is the sin of the false teachers who willfully and habitually oppose the witness of God concerning the person and work of His Son, Jesus Christ. This one is not called a brother. He is an apostate."  The commentary lands on option (3) as the preferred option. The text therefore shares how we can intercede in prayer for someone who is in sin that leads to death but this prayer will be futile.  V17 then describes sin that "does not lead to death," and we are called per the text to pray for those who are in sin that "does not lead to death."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a good, good Father, righteous, Holy and Your will is good, pleasing and perfect.  You hear all of my prayers and respond to all of them. I am not deserving of how You respond to my prayers - my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.