Sunday, April 14, 2024

Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward.

2 John 1

Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward. 2 John 1:8

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, I continue exploring, with commentary assistance, 2 John 1:1-13, specifically focusing on a review of the entirety of the text, and the main idea, introduction, and third division per the commentary: We Must Look for the Truth (7-11)."John was confronted with the spiritual, mystical theology of his day, an early form of Gnosticism. Gnosticism—the term is based on the Greek word for “knowledge”—took many forms as it developed, but most forms usually held two main propositions in common: (1) salvation is by (mystical) knowledge, and (2) the material world is evil or inferior to the spiritual. As a result of their worldview, they attacked the reality of the incarnation....If you are wrong on who Christ is, you will be wrong everywhere. John therefore issued a strong warning to be on the lookout for anyone who challenged the full deity, true and perfect humanity, sinless life, and completed work of Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father....Day in and day out, we must be on guard and resist destructive persons and philosophies that deny the truth about Jesus and that would take from us our full reward."  We are warned to avoid either adding or subtracting from the gospel.  We must also avoid supporting those who promote false teaching. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God that gives me Truth, Your Word, the Holy Spirit, the church, my brothers and sisters in Christ and so much more that I can know and discern Truth and protect myself from false teachers and teachings...thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.