Monday, April 8, 2024

We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him.

1 John 5

We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him. 1 John 5:18

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my focus is a commentary-assisted review of 1 John 5:13-21, focusing specifically on a review of the main idea for the entirety of the text, the commentary's introduction/overview for this text, and the second division - which is "We Can Know Victory over Sin (5:18)." Broadly, in this letter, John seeks to reassure us of our new birth, that we are a new creation and the commentary lists "no less than 13 evidences of the new birth in this letter."  Specifically in this verse - v18 - John provides "affirmations" or our victory over sin.  If we are a new creation, (1) we are no longer slaves to sin - it is not a "pattern" of our lives, (2) Jesus protects us in our daily battle with sin - see also John 17:12, 1 Peter 1:5, and Jude 24; and (3) Satan is not able to "seize" our souls. "Satan may grab at us and tempt us through doubt, friends who fall away, idols, fleshly enticements, and worldly allurements, but because of the power of Christ he cannot get us." We are reminded of earlier text in 1 John 3:8 where John shares how Jesus came to "destroy the works of the devil."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God because You give me victory over sin - sin is no longer a pattern in my life, and You protect me and prevent Satan from seizing my soul.  My salvation is sealed and cannot be taken from me.  Thank You Jesus!  What incredible blessings!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.