Wednesday, April 10, 2024

And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. Little children, keep yourselves from idols.

1 John 5

And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.  Little children, keep yourselves from idols. 1 John 5:20-21

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my focus is a commentary-assisted review of 1 John 5:13-21, focusing specifically on a review of the main idea for the entirety of the text, the commentary's introduction/overview for this text, and the second division - which is "We Can Know What Is True (1 John 5:20-21)."  The commentary shares that "[b]ecause of our union with Christ, we understand the truth of the gospel, we are safe from the claws of the evil one, we know the Father, and we abide 'in the true One—that is, in His Son Jesus Christ.'" The commentary then highlights v21 and how we are warned by John about idols - we are referred to Ephesians 5:5, and Colossians 3:5.  The warning about idols is important because it is so easy to create idols for ourselves.  On this point, the commentary shares: "man's nature....is a perpetual factory of idols (per John Calvin)."  Tim Keller wrote on this subject: "'The ultimate reason for any sin is that something besides Christ is functioning as an alternative ‘righteousness’ or source of confidence—and is thus an ‘idol,’ a pseudo-savior, which creates inordinate desires” (Preaching the Gospel in a Post-Modern World)." The commentary on this text concludes by pointing us to John 4:14 where Jesus tells a Samaritan woman at the well that Jesus offers a living water where those who drink of it will never thirst again, and this living water in believers will become a spring of water welling up to eternal life.  Avoid idols and drink of the living water!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for giving me Yourself as I know You offer a living water where I will never thirst again and this living water will well up in me as eternal life - thank You Jesus!  Help me see You as truth and not turn towards idols I make for myself.  You bless me beyond what I deserve.  My sin is great and it continues...please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.