Thursday, April 25, 2024

To those who are called, beloved in God the Father and kept for Jesus Christ: May mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you.

Jude

To those who are called, beloved in God the Father and kept for Jesus Christ: May mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you. Jude 1b-2

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of a commentary-assisted review of Jude 1-2.  Per the commentary:

Main idea: "Because of the mercy, peace, and love of God shown through Jesus Christ, Christians can rejoice in their status as the Lord’s servants."

Excerpts from the introduction (for the entirety of the book):

  • Jude writes "a word of encouragement about “the salvation we share,” [and] is redirected by the Holy Spirit to bring a word of warning, calling all believers “to contend for the faith”".
  • "[Jude] will expose the false teachers for who they are, and he will prescribe a plan of attack that allows us to take the fight to these spiritual terrorists. However, he lays the foundation for the battle both at the beginning and at the end of the letter with a word about our security: we are safe in Christ (vv. 1,24)."

Divisions for Jude 1-2:

  1. Know Who You Are in Christ (1): Jude, like many from Jesus' family, did not believe in Him during Jesus' earthly ministry years; however, the "resurrection changed everything" for Jude. In v1 Jude describes himself first as a "servant of Jesus Christ." We are referred to 1 Corinthians 6:20 where believers are "bought with a price." We are owned and belong to Christ. Also in v1 we are called, and "[h]ere the word means the effectual calling of God that opens the heart to freely respond to the gospel.  In Scripture there are two types of calling. There is a general call (see Matthew 11:28-30), and there is an effectual call (see Romans 8:30).  There is a mysterious wonder in this truth that the sovereign God effectually brings persons to salvation in perfect harmony with their freewill response to the gospel...This is the only place in the Bible where this phrase “loved by God the Father” appears. There is a sense in which God loves all persons indiscriminately as his creatures (John 3:16), but there is also a sense in which God especially loves his children. It is comparable to the difference between the love I have for my friends and that which I have for my wife and sons....Kept: by his work on earth, Jesus obtained my salvation. By his work in heaven, Jesus maintains my salvation. God is preserving fallen angels and apostates for judgment (vv. 6,13). God is preserving you and me for glory!"
  2. Know What You Have from Christ (2): "[Mercy] is a characteristic of God that moves him to seek a relationship with persons who have no right to be in relationship with him. The word speaks of compassion, loving kindness. It is gracious, undeserved, and unmerited; yet it is not blind, dumb, or ignorant. It is something in God that moves him to do for us what we cannot do for ourselves and we do not deserve....God saw us beaten by Satan and left for dead by sin; and he went into action and sent his Son, binding our wounds, healing our souls, and making us his own!...God is the Lord of peace. Jesus is the Mediator of peace. We are the heirs of peace....Jude prays that his readers would see...love from God as ever real and ever increasing toward them....In John 17:23 we are told, amazingly, that as the Father has loved the Son so he has also loved us. In Romans 8:31-39 we are informed that nothing can separate us from the love of God that is ours in Christ Jesus. And in 1 Corinthians 13:8 Paul reminds us that because love is at the center of who our God is, it will never fail, never end! Jude knows the power of this love, and he wants his readers to know it as well....Because we are his, we have internal security in our hearts, external security in the world, and eternal security in heaven."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who showers me with mercy, peace, and love - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.