Friday, April 5, 2024

[W]e know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

1 John 5

[W]e know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. 1 John 5:11

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my focus is a "mostly" unassisted review of 1 John 5:13-21.  A core theme of John in the text today is how must protect ourselves from the world and the influences of the evil one Satan. John starts the text by sharing that he wants believers to know and have assurance that they have eternal life and this assurance should give us confidence to approach God in pray as He intercedes on our behalf. He hears our prayers.  John then focuses on one specific prayer - for another believer that sins who is able to truly repent from and receive forgiveness.  John does share that there is sin that leads to death and John Piper describes this as sin where a believer is unable to truly repent and receive forgiveness because God has given up on them or turned them over to his or her sin (see discussion here on this question). John then shares how God protects those born of Him where they abide in Him and He in them. V20 appears to be key in our power as Jesus has come and "given us understanding" and this leads us to Jesus, pushes us into Him vs falling prey to the world.  John ends with a blunt warning to keep ourselves from idols. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are the One True God and You are life - now to the full and forever in Heaven.  You protect me from sin and give me power over both sin and death - You also hear all of my prayers and respond - thank You Jesus for all of these blessings and of course for my salvation.  What a great God You are.  I am not deserving of such rich blessings nor my salvation.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome my sin and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.