Tuesday, April 9, 2024

We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.

1 John 5

We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one. 1 John 5:19

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my focus is a commentary-assisted review of 1 John 5:13-21, focusing specifically on a review of the main idea for the entirety of the text, the commentary's introduction/overview for this text, and the second division - which is "We Can Know That We Belong to God (1 John 5:19)." This verse compares the assurance of believers knowing that we are from God (and all of the blessings that flow from this - see also Romans 8:1), with the concern that should befall those who are not in Christ as they are slaves to their sin and without hope.  This assurance for believers is more fully described in v19 where John describes how "the evil one" (Satan) is not able to "touch" believers or snatch away their salvation (see also post yesterday).  The commentary further elaborates on the influence of Satan on unbelievers, sharing "those caught up in the lies and futility of this world-system are controlled and captivated by the power and authority of Satan himself[.]"  We are referred to 2 Corinthians 4:3-4, Matthew 13:4,9, Matthew 24:24, 2 Thessalonians 2:9, and 1 John 2:15-17. The commentary continues by sharing that "[w]e are in a global conflict with an enemy that influences and in many instances controls cultures, societies, finances, and even governments. This “evil empire” under “the sway of the evil one” opposes with vehemence the advancement of the gospel, ministries of mercy, and care for the weak and helpless. He hates who we are and what we are trying to accomplish. This requires on our part a wartime mentality and commitment. Sacrifices must be made, and strategies bathed in spiritual wisdom must be created and implemented." If we abide in Him, He will protect us!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who protects from the evil one - giving me the full armor of God!  Thank You Jesus! I am not deserving of my salvation nor Your protection.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of Your heart soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.