Friday, April 12, 2024

Grace, mercy, and peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ the Father’s Son, in truth and love.

2 John 1

Grace, mercy, and peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ the Father’s Son, in truth and love. 2 John 1:3

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my focus is a commentary-assisted review of 2 John 1:1-13, focusing on the commentary's main idea for this text, the introduction, and the first division:

Main idea: "Followers of Jesus must walk in His commands as they love the truth of His teaching."

Excerpts from the Introduction:

  • "Truth and love are the twin rails on which Christianity runs. They bring authenticity and balance to our Christian confession and conduct. Yet both are endangered species, especially in a post-modern twenty-first-century world where relativism and sentimentalism reign."
  • "The apostle John was so concerned about Truth that he penned an entire letter to address the problem. We call it 2 John." 
  • "John is short and to the point in this letter, and provides several words of encouragement and instruction for those who care for truth and love."
  • "Second John’s major point appears to be that we must walk in the commands of Christ as we love the truth of His teaching." 

Divisions:

  1. We Must Love the Truth (1-3): Believers have a shared love of the gospel. "[W]e must have a consuming passion for this truth, truth that is bathed in love." Christ is the origin of love and truth, and truth has "companions" - grace, mercy and peace - that flow from Truth. "Grace is God doing for us what we do not deserve (unmerited favor and divine kindness). Mercy is God not doing to us what we do deserve (God’s compassion, pity, and tenderness). Peace is personal wholeness and well-being in all aspects of life....“[t]o maintain a healthy and growing community the church must exhibit a fidelity to the truth that knows no compromise, and they must love one another in a way that knows no boundaries."
  2. We Must Live the Truth (4-6). 
  3. We Must Look for the Truth (7-11).
  4. We Must Long for the Truth (12-13).

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are Truth and Love and from You flows grace, mercy and peace - all blessings that are incredible and impossible for me to fully appreciate until I meet You face to face in Heaven.  Thank You for these blessings.  I am not not deserving of these blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.