Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Peace be to you. The friends greet you. Greet the friends, each by name.

 3 John 1

Peace be to you. The friends greet you. Greet the friends, each by name. 3 John 1:15

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my study consists of a commentary-assisted review of 3 John 1, focusing on the fourth and final division - vv13-15 and the associated commentary (John: A Man with a Pastor’s Heart). With this text, we see John revealing his heart for those whom he discipled and many of whom likely he helped lead to Christ.  He often in his letters refers to these as his children and greets them with my much warmth and affection.  As I posted this previously, the text highlights the importance of face-to-face interactions with other believers as God intends for us. John signs off by sharing that he desires his children to experience the peace of God (that Paul refers to as that which surpasses all understanding - see Philippians 4:7) and to know they are loved as he sends his greetings.  The commentary shares that John's reference to his fellow believers as "friends" reflects similar sentiments he expressed in John 15:13

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me, provides new mercies every morning that never cease, and You provide brothers and sisters in Christ who support and encourage me in my journey with You.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to accept You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.