Saturday, April 27, 2024

I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints. For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Jude

I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints.  For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.  Jude 3-4

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of a commentary-assisted review of Jude 3-4 which is covered by the second chapter of my commentary.  Per the commentary:

Main idea: "Because of the constant threat of false teachers and enemies of the gospel, Christians must continually defend and obey the Christ-centered, Christ-exalting faith that has been passed on through the true Church."

Excerpts from the introduction:

  • "Jude writes his epistle to warn the church about spiritual terrorists [apostates], spiritual subversives who stealthily crept inside the church with WSDs (Weapons of Spiritual Destruction)."
  • These apostates are those who have "corporately, theologically and spiritually they have left and followed after false and destructive teaching. [They have] received the truth, rejected the truth, ridicule the truth, and eventually will attempt to replace the truth." See also Adrian Rogers Snakes in the Garden.
  • "Sadly, this strategy of infiltration by the devil’s deceivers is even in full swing within the camp of evangelicalism."
  • "There is today a great need for evangelicals to heed the words of Jude and “to contend for the faith that was delivered to the saints once for all” (v. 3). There is a fight for the faith, a struggle to preserve and pass on what has been delivered to us, and it is time to step up."

Divisions:

  1. Know What You Believe (3): The word contend from v3 is derived from the Greek word when translated to "fight or struggle with intense effort."  It is not intended to be easy. "He understood clearly the rebellious nature of the human heart and the moral havoc that reigns from a rejection of Christ’s lordship. Because of the tendency of the human heart to wander, Jude knew that the faith would need to be explained and defended continually. This is not a time for cowards or the weak hearted. This is not a time for the timid or thin-skinned. This is not a time for retreat, compromise, or surrender. The faith must be earnestly defended." We are reminded that the gospel is complete and nothing needs to be added or subtracted - it is perfect.  It is dangerous to believe that it needs to "evolve".   The commentary lists 12 "non-negotiable" re: scripture: (a) The inerrancy and infallibility of Holy Scripture, (b) The full and eternal deity of Christ, (c) The miraculous virgin birth and sinless life of Jesus the Messiah (d) The historical creation of man and woman made in God’s image, (e) The sanctity of all life from conception to natural death, (f) The sacredness of marriage between a man and a woman, (g) The sinfulness of all human persons, (h) The substitutionary death of Christ for sinners, (i) The bodily resurrection of Christ from the grave Salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone, (j) The exclusivity of the gospel of Jesus Christ for sinners, and (k) The return of Christ and the assignment of all people either to eternal blessedness in heaven or eternal condemnation in hell."
  2. Know How to Live (4): We are cautioned to beware of those who deceive the church, distort God's grace, and those who deny Jesus. In the closing words of the commentary for the text today we are referred to 2 Timothy 2:23-26 which the commentary describes as "contend[ing] for the faith without being contentious about the faith."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, thank You for my faith and for giving me the full armor of God, and for scripture in particular which serves as a "lamp unto my feet" as You enter my heart, transforming me into more of Your image, helping direct me and avoid sin.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.