Sunday, April 21, 2024

[H]e is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent.

 3 John 1

[H]e is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. Colossians 1:18

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my study consists of a commentary-assisted review of 3 John 1, focusing on the second division - vv9-10 and the associated commentary (Diotrephes: A Man with a Harmful Agenda). Diotrephes is described as a negative example of someone walking in the truth (see post yesterday on Gaius).  He puts himself first (as opposed to demonstrating humility and allowing others to see Jesus through him) and does not acknowledge the authority of John and the other church leaders and apostles (as opposed to submitting to church leadership).  Diotrephes is then described as slandering those in the church (see Proverbs 10:18 and James 4:11 on this).  Finally Diotrephes is described as not demonstrating hospitality and support/encouragement for other believers.  The commentary shares how Diotrephes was arrogant, wanted to be the church boss - to bring glory to himself vs God - stirred up conflict through slanderous accusations against John and church leadership, and failed to support others in the church.  We are referred to Colossians 1:18 where Jesus is "first place in everything" and encouraged to avoid attempting to taking the place only Jesus holds.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion - You came not to be served but to serve and to be an example for those who submit and follow You.  You willingly laid down Your life for all of humanity to give life.  Thank You Jesus for my salvation and for continuing to intercede for me daily.  I am not deserving of how You serve and love me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.