Monday, April 22, 2024

Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good.

 3 John 1

Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. 3 John 1:11a

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my study consists of a commentary-assisted review of 3 John 1, focusing on the third division - vv11-12 and the associated commentary (Demetrius: A Man with a Good Testimony). While v11 shares that we are to imitate good, presumably by watching godly examples such as Gaius and Demetrius, we are reminded that we should most importantly be more like Jesus Christ - we are referred to 1 Corinthians 11:1 and Hebrews 12:2-3.  This said, godly examples such as these men prove helpful and God provides us these men in our lives as "iron sharpens iron" (Proverbs 27:17).  The commentary also points out how Godly brothers and sisters in Christ serve as examples not just for us in our own journey but also for the next generation.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who serves as the example for all to follow, and You give me Godly men and women in my life to sharpen me and to give me examples to follow.  You also give me the Holy Spirit and Your Word to guide me as a lamp unto my feet.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.