Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Therefore we ought to support people like these, that we may be fellow workers for the truth.

 3 John 1

Therefore we ought to support people like these, that we may be fellow workers for the truth. 3 John 1:8

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my study consists of an unassisted review of 3 John 1, primarily looking vv9-10 which per the commentary is the second division for 3 John 1.  Here, in contrast to my reading on Gaius yesterday, where we are encouraged to walk like Gaius and support fellow workers for the truth, vv9-10 describe Diotrephes, who is opposing the work of the church and the Truth.  Diotrephes is described as someone "who likes to put himself first" (v9). Humility is an attribute of Jesus and absolutely something we as believers should emulate. Diotrephes also does "not acknowledge [the] authority" of John and the other church leaders (v9).  Believers are called to submit to church leadership and authority.   Diotrephes also lacks hospitality and does not support and encourage other believers - he is disruptive to the church.  We must be more like Gaius and not like Diotrephes. Diotrephes' sin should be confronted and dealt with according - see also Matthew 18:15-17.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are the Way, the Truth and the Life and You are SO good to me - I seek to respond in white hot worship to who You are and how You love me so much - because I am undeserving of such blessings and grace.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.