Sunday, April 28, 2024

Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.

Jude

Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe. Jude 5

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of an unassisted review of Jude 5-7. Here, we are reminded to remain in Jesus, so that He is in us (see also John 15:5-6), so that we are spared eternal damnation.  True believers cannot lose their salvation, but most commentaries I have read focus on those who are not true believers in the sense that they never truly had faith and what faith they did have was not strong enough to prevent apostasy.  In v5, I believe, this is the group where Jude focuses - those who believed in Jesus because they perhaps felt awe and wonder at one point (due to miracle perhaps) but beyond awe and wonder never truly believed and then focused on doubt and fell prey to sinful influences and false teaching.  Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega - He was their in the beginning during Creation (see Genesis 1:2 reference to Spirit of God) and the Fall (as the one who will destroy the serpent - see Genesis 3:15) and He will be there at the end coming on clouds (Revelation 1:7-8).  As such Jude (v5) refers to Jesus as "the one who saved a people out of the land of Egypt," but then because much of Israel refused to believe and have faith, God (Jesus) destroyed them in the wilderness. Jude not only uses Israel as an example of those who refused to believe but also fallen angels (v6), and then those in Sodom and Gomorrah (v7) - all of whom perish for eternity.  Key takeaway for those whose faith is weak is avoid focus on doubt but instead to lean into God and ask for strengthening of faith and not to fall away. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God that not only saved me but also provides a way out for me to remain in You and You in me - thank You for my faith.  I am not deserving of my faith.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.