Saturday, April 6, 2024

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.

1 John 5

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. 1 John 5:13

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my focus is a commentary-assisted review of 1 John 5:13-21, focusing specifically on the main idea for the entirety of the text, the commentary's introduction/overview for this text, and the first division.

Per the commentary for this text:

Title: Five Truths God Wants Every Child of God to Know 

Main idea: "Christians can rest in the truths that we belong to the God who answers prayer, that we have spiritual victory, and that Christ is the true and only source of eternal life."

Excerpts from the introduction: John's letter of 1 John focuses on how he seeks believers - his "little children" as he lovingly refers to them - to be reassured of key fundamental truths of our faith, including:

  • we can know God (2:3,13,14, 4:7)
  • we can know we are in God (2:5)
  • we can know that it is the last hour (2:18)
  • we can know the truth (2:21, 3:19)
  • we can know that Jesus is righteous (2:29)
  • we can know that we will be like Jesus (3:2)
  • we can know that Jesus came to take away sins (3:5)
  • we can know that Jesus is sinless (3:5)
  • we can know we have passed out of death into life (3:14)
  • we can know no murderer has eternal life (3:15)
  • we can know love (3:16, 4:16)
  • we can know God abides in us (3:24, 4:13)
  • we can know the Spirit of God (4:2)
  • we can know the spirit of truth and the spirit of deception (4:6)
  • we can know that we love God's children (5:2)
  • we can know we have eternal life (5:13)
  • we can know God answers prayer (5:15)
  • we can know we will not practice sin (5:18)
  • we can know we belong to God (5:19)
  • we can know that the Son of God has come (5:20)
  • we can know that the Son of God has given us understanding (5:20)
  • we can know Him who is true (5:20)

In his concluding words from this letter, John zeros in on what "in particular, that God wants every child of His to know?"

Divisions:

  1. We Can Know That We Have Eternal Life (5:13): Believers understand that while our faith gives us confidence and belief in eternal life, we all may have our doubts, particularly in certain trying circumstances.  John seeks for us to have an additional dose of assurance in this. "Feelings come and go, and feelings can be deceiving. My confidence is in the Son of God; no one else is worth believing." We are referred to John 10:28-29.
  2. We Can Know That God Answers Prayer (5:14-17): 
  3. We Can Know Victory over Sin (5:18): 
  4. We Can Know That We Belong to God (5:19):
  5. We Can Know What Is True (5:20-21):

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for snatching me from the fire, saving me for life now and for eternity.  Your amazing grace is the greatest gift of all time - thank You Jesus!  I am of course not deserving of such grace or gift as my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.