Tuesday, April 2, 2024

[T]his is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

1 John 5

[T]his is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 1 John 5:11

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my focus is an unassisted review of 1 John 5:6-12.  The text starts by describing Jesus as coming by "water and blood," seemingly associating Jesus' arrival or incarnation with His baptism and crucifixion (v6).  V6 also refers to the Holy Spirit, present at Jesus' baptism and described in v6 as testifying that Jesus was God's Son, with who God is well pleased - the Holy Spirit is identified as the truth in v6 as well.  Vv7-8 describe how three testify - water (baptism), blood (crucifixion), and the Holy Spirit - they all testify to who God is as His Son - agreeing in their testimony.  Many who saw Jesus, including Peter, testify that Jesus is the Messiah, the Promised Deliverer, and the Son of God, but we are encouraged to see in v9 how the testimony of God Himself regarding His Son is more reliable and a greater testimony.  V10 shares how, if we believe in Jesus, we have this same testimony - from God - in us.  If you do not believe in God, you make God a liar, not believing in His testimony.  Core to God's testimony is described in v11.  The text for today wraps with a comparison of believers vs unbelievers - if we have the Son we have life, if not, no life.  See also John 3:16-18. Don't doubt the testimony of God and believe!

Comment and discuss this post.  

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a good, good God and Father - better than any earthly father could ever be.  You are Truth and Life and You have given me victory over sin and death - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings and a gift - the greatest gift of all time.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.