Monday, April 29, 2024

Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

Jude

Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire. Jude 7

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of a commentary-assisted review of Jude 5-7.  Per the commentary:

Main idea: "Learning from those who have rejected the Lord, Christians must continually run to and cling to the mercy of God available in Christ Jesus."

Excerpts from the introduction:

  • RE: our culture, "unbelief, rebellion, and immorality (the three sins Jude highlights in vv. 5-7) characterize with greater intensity and influence our way of life....[it] has turned its back on God and his Word, shunned his standards, and mocked his character."
  •  Unfortunately, "[u]nbelief, rebellion, and immorality run to and fro across the land and within the congregation of God’s people....So we must ask, What does God think about our current situation, and what will God do? Jude 5-7 provides the answer to these questions with three truths we ought never forget."
Divisions:
  1. Remember the Danger of Unbelief (5): V5 "flows from" the preceding verses where we are warned of false teachers and v5 describes the judgement that awaits. We are encouraged not to forget the moments when God saved us just as He did Israel from the Egyptians.  We are prone to forget as Israel did but we should not - God interceded for us then and He still does.  Jude wants us to remember that these moments are every day. The commentary encourages us to not doubt the power of God today as it describes how Jude pointed us to Numbers 14, "when the twelve spies returned from their reconnaissance mission into the promised land." Although the other spies came back afraid both Joshua and Caleb were undeterred as God was on their side and they were confident they could overtake those possessing the land God promised them. [The others] missed the promised land. They missed God’s best. Forgetting God’s grace and greatness, they dug their graves in the wilderness within sight of the land God had promised[.]"  We are encouraged to avoid the mindset that God is not with us now and every moment. 
  2. Remember the Dishonor of Rebellion (6): The commentary postulates that Jude 6 refers to Genesis 6 where "where fallen angels had sexual relations and cohabited with women and produced an evil race of men who brought God’s judgment on the world through the flood." In light of the ambiguity of this verse, the commentary highlights instead clear application where we must accept God's plan for our lives and instead let ambition and arrogance subvert God in our lives. We must rest in the goodness of God's providence and His plan.  Otherwise, if we reject God as these angels did then we face being slaves to sin now and eternal damnation.
  3. Remember the Destiny of the Immoral (7): The commentary points to how Sodom and Gomorrah's destruction is referenced 20 times in the Bible, showing how powerful a sin sexual immorality is and how God deals with it harshly, along with other sins such as poor treatment of the weak. We are encouraged to think carefully and in awe about the reality of Hell avoid getting close to any sin that might drag us closer to this reality.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who provides for my all and all - You give me peace about my future.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You provide for all of my needs and how You are saving a place for me in Heaven.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving one bit...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.