Thursday, April 11, 2024

[T]his is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it.

2 John 1

[T]his is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it. 2 John 1:6

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my focus is an unassisted review of 2 John 1:1-13. John is seemingly writing a more personal letter to a mother and her children that he knows among his church family.  John starts the letter by sharing the love they share as they are brothers and sisters in Christ, sharing truth and faith - forever (vv1-2).  John is well pleased that this mother and some of her children "walking in the truth" - obeying the commandments God gives us from His Word (v4).  He then reminds this mother to love one another and he describes love as "walk[ing] according to His commandments (vv5-6).  We are warned of deceivers...in the world (vv7-11). See also 1 John 5:3 where John shares how obedience to God is not burdensome as it is a natural response from believers who are overwhelmed by the love of God and seek to please, honor and glorify the One True God. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You were obedient to death and Your death - and resurrection - gives me life to the full now and forever in Heaven with You.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a gift and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.