Saturday, February 24, 2024

And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.

1 John 1

 And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete. 1 John 1:4

This morning, I am embark on a study of 1,2,3 John with the assistance of the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  My study today focuses on 1 John 1:1-4.  John writes about the Word of Life, embodied in the Son Jesus Christ, who came as flesh in blood to save humanity from its sin and to give those who believe in Him eternal life.  As John describes the Good News of Jesus Christ, he ascribes attributes:

  • from the beginning (v1); it was always the plan that Jesus who be the incarnate Son of God, to die on the cross for all of humanity's sin, and to rise again after 3 days
  • it was real and evident (v1-2); heard and seen by many, including himself; John walked with Jesus and touched Him
  • Jesus was from and with the Father (v2)
  • it unites those who believe into a body of believers for fellowship, encouragement and strengthening (v3)

John writes to believers about the Good News so that his joy may be complete - echoing similar sentiments that he and Peter spoke to the Jewish elders, scribes, and rulers in Acts 4:20 that "[they] cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard."  It is out of an outpouring of love of God to share the glory and Good News of Jesus Christ. Our joy is only complete when we share this joy with others - it cannot be contained.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has done much - paying the ultimate price - for me, completely out of grace and love for me.  Not because I am deserving because I am not - my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.