Friday, February 9, 2024

Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward.

 Hebrews 10

Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. Hebrews 10:35

As I continue to ponder what to study next, my Bible study this morning once again leans on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how God is "Better Than Money, Sex, and Power," which is the title of today's devotion. John Piper starts by highlighting Hebrews 10:35, which in a broader context examines the blessings of faith in Christ and in particular how we don't worry about plundering of our property because we have a "better possession" (Hebrews 10:34).  Piper expands on this by discussing the superiority of God over "all that the world has to offer," including money, sex, and power.  Piper shares: "[s]o, take the things that drive the world, and ponder how much better and more abiding God is. Take money or sex or power and think about them in relation to death. Death will take away every one of them. If that is what you live for, you won’t get much, and what you get, you lose. But God’s treasure is vastly superior, and it lasts. It goes beyond death." Piper continues by sharing that God's treasure is "better than sex. Jesus never had sexual relations, and he was the most full and complete human that ever will exist. Sex is a shadow — an image — of a greater reality, of a relationship and a pleasure that will make the most exquisite sex seem like a yawn."  On power, Piper shares: "[t]he reward of God is better than power. There is no greater human power than to be a child of the almighty God." Piper concludes by challenging those who continue to seduced by what the world has to offer to "wake up from the trance of this stupefying world and see and believe and rejoice in and love what is truly real, and infinitely valuable, and everlasting?"

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - giving me mercies that are new every morning and that never cease.  You are better than anything this world has to offer - and You freely give to those who are undeserving such as myself.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of what You give.  My sin is great and it is daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.