Thursday, February 8, 2024

Ascribe to the LORD, O families of the peoples, ascribe to the LORD glory and strength!

 Psalm 96

Ascribe to the LORD, O families of the peoples, ascribe to the LORD glory and strength! Psalm 96:7

As I wrapped my study of 1 Corinthians, and I ponder what to study next, my Bible study this morning leans on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks closely at one verse from David's response to the return of the ark of the covenant back to Jerusalem (see also 1 Chronicles 16).  This is certainly a joyous occasion, and David marks the occasion by describing God's strength.  John Piper unpacks what this means by sharing that "[f]irst, by God’s grace, we give attention to God and see that he is strong. We give heed to his strength. Then we give our approval to the greatness of his strength. We give due regard to its worth."  Piper then goes on to describe that this celebration and wonder in God's strength is based in an acknowledgement that we are not God and we do not have his strength.  Piper shares: "[w]e feel a profound fitness in the fact that he is infinitely strong, and we are not. We love the fact that this is so. We do not envy God for his strength. We are not covetous of his power. We are full of joy that all strength is his."  Ultimately, Piper writes how we get to a place where we have this "supremely satisfying experience of not being God, but admiring the Godness of God — the strength of God. There settles over us a peaceful realization that admiration of the infinite is the final, all-satisfying end of all things."  At this point, of course, we avoid any attempt to usurp any of God's strength as our own.  Piper points us to 2 Corinthians 4:7 where Paul writes that any power within us is not from us but from God working in us. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me...giving me an opportunity to see Your hand in the world and within me and those close to me.  You are amazing!  Thank You Jesus for the grace You pour out on me.  I am not deserving...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.