Monday, February 5, 2024

On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come.

1 Corinthians 16

On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come. 1 Corinthians 16:2

I resume my study of 1 Corinthians, moving on to an assisted review of 1 Corinthians 16:1-4 using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary volume for this book.  From the commentary for this text:

Main idea: "Giving will always be a part of the church’s worship, and it should follow some specific guidelines."

Key excerpts from the introduction: "[I]t is refreshing to note that with all the flaws and foibles of the Corinthian church, it was a generous church....We know from another letter that Paul wrote that this collection was for the poor and suffering among the Jewish Christian brothers and sisters in Jerusalem (Romans 15:26)....In several solid and practical ways, Paul gives us a model that shows how Christians should be financially faithful to the church and how the church should be forensically faithful in managing what is given."

Divisions per the commentary:

  1. We Should Give with Sincere Dedication (16:1):"[T]he church in Jerusalem was in the middle of a great economic depression. They were having to minister to thousands of new converts who had come to Christ, and many of them were in desperate need of financial help. Well aware of this, Paul had sent out a communiqué to several Gentile churches he had founded, asking them to help their brothers and sisters in Jerusalem. Everyone knew what this offering was to be dedicated to; it had a specific purpose. These Corinthian Christians, then, were motivated by a love for and a brokenness over their Jerusalem brothers and sisters. They eagerly agreed to give to this offering because they realized Christianity is a team sport and everyone is on the same team."
  2. We Should Give to a Specific Destination (16:2a): "When you worship, you give your voice in exaltation as you praise the character of God. You give your ear in concentration as you listen to the Word of God. You give your mind in meditation as you think about the things of God. You give your heart in adoration as you bask in the love of God. Surely we should also bring our offerings in commemoration as we remember the goodness of God. This is not to be understood as saying that all giving should only be given to any specific church, but I do believe this passage suggests the first financial gifts we give to God should be to the work of the church."
  3. We Should Give with Steadfast Determination (16:2a): "Paul makes it plain that everybody should give something to this offering. There is no room for exemptions, exceptions, or excuses....The best way to give, though it may certainly be supplemented with spontaneous offerings, is systematically. We should give with a steadfast determination to give as often as our income is refreshed or we have an unexpected inflow of money."
  4. We Should Give with Studied Deliberation (16:2b)."Therefore, our lives as those he has redeemed should be lived in gratitude for all that God has given to us and done for us."
  5. We Should Give with Sober Discrimination (16:3-4): "place. In other words, the money was not only to be given in the church, to the church, and for the church, it was to be managed by the church. It is incumbent on those of us who give money to God’s work to do everything possible to make sure that dollars given toward his work are always used correctly, properly, and wisely."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides for all needs - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You provide.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.