Friday, February 23, 2024

If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.

1 Peter 4

If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. 1 Peter 4:14

As I continue to ponder what to study next, my Bible study this morning once again leans on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today examines the extent to which believers are ready for persecution.  There are believers in the United States facing persecution, but whatever persecution we may face here pales in the comparison of the persecution believers elsewhere experience - go to the Voice of the Martyrs ministry website to learn more about such persecution.  John Piper challenges us to avoid anger as a response to persecution and instead we are encouraged to see our time here as Peter did as he wrote in 1 Peter 2:11 that we should view ourselves as "sojourners and exiles," and not grow too comfortable with the world.  Our citizenship and home is in Heaven - see also Philippians 3:20.  In light of this, we should become more bold in proclaiming our faith and the gospel.  Then, if we are to experience fiery trials (see 1 Peter 4:12) either in the form of insults, injury, or death we can take comfort from what Peter describes as the "Spirit of glory and of God that rests upon [you]". 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace, and comfort - giving us peace and protection when we need it most.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.