Saturday, February 17, 2024

But even before I was born, God chose me and called me by his marvelous grace.

Galatians 1

But even before I was born, God chose me and called me by his marvelous grace. Galatians 1:15a (NLT)

As I continue to ponder what to study next, my Bible study this morning once again leans on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today is entitled "The Sweet Designs of God."  The devotions looks at Paul's life as persecutor of Christians, then as a "God-chosen, soon-to-be-made-Christian missionary" (arguably the greatest of these in history).  John Piper starts by referring us to Galatians 1:15 and how God designed Paul's life from the very beginning (as He does with all life) and how Paul was "an already-chosen, but not-yet-called, instrument of God."  Of course, Piper also refers us to Paul's conversion in Acts 22, including key excerpts where he was called by God on the road to Damascus (vv6-7), and how God's direction for Paul's life as a missionary was a non-negotiable sovereign act of God (v10). Piper then highlights that God could have called Paul sooner but instead describes how God did not, and instead allowed, used, and redeemed Paul's sins as part of a broader plan.  Piper shares a rhetorical question which he immediately answers: "Do we have any idea what the plan for those sins might have been? Yes, we do. They were permitted for you and me — for all who fear that they might have sinned themselves out of grace."  Piper's answer refers us to 1 Timothy 1:13, 16.  Piper concludes by sharing how those who believe are too far from God's salvation due to their own hardness and sins, should have hope...hope that only comes from Jesus.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me, giving me hope and mercies that are new every morning and that never cease.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.