Tuesday, February 27, 2024

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness...But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

1 John 1:5-2:2

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness...But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 1 John 1:9, 2:1

This morning, I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  My study today focuses on a commentary-assisted review of 1 John 1:5-2:2. 

Per the commentary main idea for the text: "Jesus is our atonement and our advocate who reconciles us to God and sends us out to share the gospel message with the world."

Excerpts from the introduction to the commentary:

  • Sin is humanity's most fundamental problem
  • John seeks to underscore this fundamental reality and to avoid challenging God as a liar by claiming we have no sin
  • Believers must think correctly about sin
  • "When you see sin for what it is you will immediately see your need—the world’s need—for Jesus as your advocate (2:1) and your “atoning sacrifice” (2:2 NIV). You will also avoid the error of calling God a liar."

Divisions:

  1. The World Must Know What God Says about Himself (1:5): "Having met this Savior in repentance and faith, we have a divine assignment that involves the proclamation of a specific gospel with a universal scope (2:2). This message is for the whole world."  All believers must play a role in the Great Commission (Matthew 28:16-20).  We are encouraged to both be a light so that others can see the True Light that is Jesus Christ.  The commentary points us back to scripture where there are numerous references to God as Light, including how the word light appears more than 275 times in scripture, including Psalm 27:1, 36:9, Isaiah 60:1, 3, 19-20, Micah 7:8, John 1:9, 8:12, 12:36, 46. For us to proclaim the Good News of Jesus, Christ we must understand the nature of Jesus and John seeks for us to understand how Jesus is the Light (Holy/Life) and how He is Truth.
  2. The World Must Know What God Says about Sin (1:6-10): The world wants to define sin on its terms but John knows this is dangerous and instead encourages (warns) us to see sin as God sees it - as leading to eternal damnation. We are warned not to lie about our own sin. This includes lies to ourselves and to others. We are referred to Proverbs 28:13 and to confess our own sin...continually. "It should be noted that the apostle John does not deny our need to be seen as sinless. He simply notes that we cannot find it in ourselves. We need an advocate. We need an atonement. We need another."  We should be careful not to lie to ourselves and others because we will soon lie about God and this is dangerous indeed! 
  3. The World Must Know What God Says about Jesus (2:1-2): "John has made it clear that in this life we cannot be sinless (but note again the future promise of 3:2!), but he does believe we can sin less because we are now in intimate fellowship with the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ (1:3)." Jesus is our Advocate because He is our Atonement.  See also Revelation 5:9.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good...that You continually intercede and advocate for me on behalf of the Father to forgive my sins...and for so much more!  I am not deserving of how You bless!  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.