Sunday, February 18, 2024

When it was day, the Jews made a plot and bound themselves by an oath neither to eat nor drink till they had killed Paul.

Acts 23

When it was day, the Jews made a plot and bound themselves by an oath neither to eat nor drink till they had killed Paul. Acts 23:12

As I continue to ponder what to study next, my Bible study this morning once again leans on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how nothing can stop God's plans, and that if challenging circumstances are overcome, even in an unbelievable manner, we must look to God as the divine orchestrator of something greater than the challenging circumstances.  John Piper once again, as he did yesterday, looks at the life of Paul and how he goes to Jerusalem and is arrested (see Acts 21). While in Jerusalem, the Jews made a plot to kill Paul (see Acts 23:12), yet God was not done with Paul as Piper points to the previous verse (v11) and how God planned for Paul to go to Rome on appeal to give his testimony to those in Rome. Piper breaks down how God thwarted the plans of the Jews by orchestrating the unraveling of the plan through the sequence of what Piper describes as a highly unlikely (although for God nothing is unlikely or impossible - see vv16-23) set of events:  

  • A boy overheard the plot.
  • The boy was the son of Paul’s sister.
  • The boy had the courage to go to the Roman centurion guarding Paul.
  • The centurion took him seriously and brought him to the tribune.
  • The tribune believed him and prepared “two hundred soldiers, with seventy horsemen and two hundred spearmen” to take Paul to safety. 

John Piper wants us as believers to see that "[n]o ambush can stand against the promise of Christ. Until he got to Rome, Paul was immortal. There was a final testimony to be given. And Christ would see to it that Paul would give it.  You too have final testimony to give. And you are immortal until you give it." God has a plan for each one of us and as long as we are alive we should continue to seek what it is that God wants us to do in service of His glory.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your mercies that are new every morning and that never cease.  Help me respond in white hot worship - You are deserving and I know that is why I exist.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin of lethargy and other sins and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.