Sunday, February 4, 2024

Now concerning the collection for the saints: as I directed the churches of Galatia, so you also are to do. On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come.

1 Corinthians 16

Now concerning the collection for the saints: as I directed the churches of Galatia, so you also are to do.  On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come.  1 Corinthians 16:1-2

I resume my study of 1 Corinthians, moving on to an assisted review of 1 Corinthians 16:1-4.  In light of v1, it's important to see what Paul spoke to Galatia.  There are at least two places in Galatians where Paul spoke of giving, including giving to the poor (Galatians 2:10) and to do good (implied to help) "especially to those who are of the household of faith" (the church) (Galatians 6:10).  This giving is to be done regularly (every week per v2). Giving is also discussed in 2 Corinthians 9 where Paul once again seeks to help the poor and give to the church. This giving is out of an overflowing of love for God and for the church - we are to be cheerful givers, not to give out of compulsion.  Attached to this giving is a promise where believers are "enriched in every way to be generous" (v11). 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides for all needs - physical needs, emotional needs and spiritual needs - thank You God for giving abundantly.  I am not deserving of such blessings, including how Your mercies are new every morning and never ceasing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.