Monday, February 26, 2024

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness....But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

1 John 1:5-2:2

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness...But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 1 John 1:9, 2:1

This morning, I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  My study today focuses on an unassisted review of 1 John 1:5-2:2, which contrasts light from darkness, as one represents Jesus, those who believe in Him, and the truth which is His Word, while the other represents sin (vv5-6). When we believe in Him, are obedient to Him, repent from our sins, we have both fellowship with other believers that do the same, and God is faithful to cleanse us of our sins (v7).  We cannot deny that sin is part of all humanity and as such each one of us - as this has been true since the Fall in Genesis 3 (v8).  While we all have sin, John reiterates how God is faithful and just to cleanse us of our sins and all unrighteousness (v9).  John also reiterates how we make Jesus a liar when we say we have not sinned - we also lose the right to claim that the Word is in us (v10). John seeks for us to become more like Jesus, to be holy because he is holy - to not sin (v2:1a).  It is inevitable that we will sin, but once again "we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world. (vv2:1b-2)." 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are so good...You advocate and intercede on my behalf...daily.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving for how You save.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.