Thursday, February 15, 2024

By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.

 1 John 3

By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. 1 John 3:16

As I continue to ponder what to study next, my Bible study this morning once again leans on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today aims for believers to see how - as the title of the devotional implies - "Every Calvary Step Was Love."  Indeed, John Piper seeks for us to slow down and imagine the suffering Jesus experienced as He not only willingly, but intentionally went to the cross.  His arrest in Gethsemane (see Matthew 26 starting in v47), His mocking and beating (see Mark 14:65, 15:17-19, and Luke 22:63), and ultimately His crucifixion should be well understood as something He knew HAD (and He was the one to do it) to be done to fulfill scriptures.  Piper refers us to John 13:1 and Matthew 26:52-54 to remind us of Jesus' intent to fulfill scripture. Piper shares: "[i]t is one thing to say that the details of Jesus’s death were predicted in the Old Testament. But it is much more to say that Jesus himself was making his choices precisely to see to it that the Scriptures would be fulfilled."  Piper wraps the devotion by sharing the likely mindset of Jesus at the time: "[i]n other words, I am not choosing to take the way out that I could take, because I know the Scriptures. I know what must take place for my people to be saved. It is my choice to fulfill all that is predicted of me in the word of God. It is my choice — every step of the way — to love my people to the uttermost. And I want them to feel this. And be utterly secure and free and radically different from the world."  Let us all slow down to soak in the love of Jesus, how it saves, and so much more!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are love - You willingly, intentionally, laid down Your life for me and all believers so that we could have life now to the full, and for eternity.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a blessing - the greatest gift of all time.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.