Tuesday, February 13, 2024

[H]e has prepared for them a city.

 Hebrews 11

[H]e has prepared for them a city. Hebrews 11:16c

As I continue to ponder what to study next, my Bible study this morning once again leans on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at the city, Heaven, God has prepared for those who believe and have been saved by Him.  There is certainly much in the present world to be sad about and John Piper describes some of this.  Yet, in the present, God is with those who believe and have been saved by Him. God provides the Holy Spirit, the Word, the church, my brothers and sisters in Christ, etc. to give me comfort and to help continue to run the race when God calls me home or Christ returns.  The city God prepares for us is indeed perfect and it is described in Revelation 21.  Piper describes this city: "[t]he city of God will be perfect, because God will be in it. He will walk in it and talk in it and manifest himself in every part of it. All that is good and beautiful and holy and peaceful and true and happy will be there, because God will be there.  Perfect justice will be there and recompense a thousandfold for every pain suffered in obedience to Christ in this world. And it will never deteriorate. In fact, it will shine brighter and brighter as eternity stretches out into unending ages of increasing joy." Piper seeks for believers to desire this city "above everything else on the earth." This brings glory to God who is also the builder of this new city.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of compassion, saving a place for me in the New Jerusalem which will be awesome!  Thank You Jesus for securing my salvation.  I am not deserving of the greatest gift of all time.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.