Wednesday, February 21, 2024

For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.

Mark 10

For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. Mark 10:45

As I continue to ponder what to study next, my Bible study this morning once again leans on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how Jesus "was and is and will ever be the servant of his people[.]" While non-believers may struggle to understand how the God of the Universe serves, those who know Jesus fully comprehend that Jesus as servant a core attribute of who Jesus is and one way in how His loves manifests itself for those who believe. Beyond Mark 10:45, John Piper provides several scripture examples of Jesus as servant to remind believers of this core attribute: 

  • He not only came to serve during His ministry on earth, but He will serve again when He returns (Luke 12:37)
  • He is serving those who believe now, actively, never leaving or forsaking us, and He is our Helper (Hebrews 13:5-6)
  • We honor Him by humbly declaring daily that we need Him; He carries our burdens gladly and "loves to work" on our behalf (Isaiah 64:4)
  • He "takes pleasure...in those who hope in His steadfast love." (Psalm 147:11)
  • The Lord "give[s] strong support to those whose heart is blameless toward him."  (2 Chronicles 16:9)

As we continue to move close to Easter, let us all be mindful of how much God loves us as He demonstrates how He serves!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, I know You love me and You demonstrate it daily by serving me, providing for me, never leaving or forsaking me, etc.  You are SO great and good to me.  I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and and apply Your message for me today and every day.