Monday, February 12, 2024

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!

 1 Corinthians 7

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! Romans 11:33

As I continue to ponder what to study next, my Bible study this morning once again leans on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today draws on history to describe how Abraham Lincoln leaned into God, despite likely earlier skepticism, during a time of both personal and professional anguish.  John Piper shares how after the passing of his 11-year old son Willie, "Lincoln turned to Phineas Gurley, pastor of the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church in Washington."  Piper also highlights how the Civil War raged at the same time, and that Lincoln - as president, sought solace from from Willie's passing and the unimaginable death and destruction that accompanied the war, which in many instances was fought within earshot of the White House.  Other sources point to how Lincoln turned towards God during this time.  Piper records Lincoln's turn towards God by noting: [t]he horrors of the dead and wounded soldiers assaulted him daily. There were fifty hospitals for the wounded in Washington. The rotunda of the Capitol held two thousand cots for wounded soldiers. Typically, fifty soldiers a day died in these temporary hospitals. All of this drove Lincoln deeper into the providence of God. 'We cannot but believe, that He who made the world still governs it.'"  Piper points to one additional source where we see a more mature Lincoln faith - as demonstrated in his second inaugural address - as he notes that God is not "a simple supporter for the Union or Confederate cause. God has his own purposes and does not excuse sin on either side."  Piper concludes the devotion by praying for readers that for those of us "who suffer loss and injury and great sorrow that it will awaken for you, as it did for Lincoln, not an empty fatalism, but a deeper reliance on the infinite wisdom and love of God’s inscrutable providence."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, Your riches and wisdom and knowledge are great and Your justice is perfect - Your mercies are new every morning and they never cease....amazing that You love me, saved me and never leave or forsake me.  Thank You Jesus I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.