Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.

1 Corinthians 16

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.  1 Corinthians 16:13-14

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians, moving on to an assisted review of 1 Corinthians 16:5-24 using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary volume for this book.  From the commentary for this text:

Main idea: "If possible, parting words should always be encouraging and uplifting, particularly after having to speak tough truths in love."

Key excerpts from the introduction: "In what was probably the toughest, hardest letter (1 Corinthians) Paul ever had to write to a church, you can almost hear the relief in his voice once the need for tough love is over. This last section is written on a very upbeat note. Paul is anticipating anticipating a visit to these Corinthian Christians, exhorting them to be open and supportive to others who may want to come work alongside them as well as to stand firm in their faith." 

Divisions per the commentary:

  1. A Word of Anticipation (16:5-12): "Paul left unstated that it is obvious that one of the main reasons he wants to spend a good deal of time with this church was that he hoped to rebuild bridges and help them to improve their witness for Christ and their unity in the body.  But Paul may have had an even more practical motive. He could find more gainful employment in Corinth than in almost any other city he visited. Tentmakers were in demand there because of the Isthmian Games, which had high attendance, and because of the two harbors there. Bailey points out that tentmakers would also manufacture sails, and small ships would naturally use “the winter” to get their vessels ready for their shipping season (Paul, 486)."
  2. A Word of Exhortation (16:13-14): "Paul, within one verse in rapid fire, gives some exhortatory words all in the imperative that are in a sense a call to arms....The Corinthians were to always be on their guard and never go to sleep at their theological post, making sure that false teaching did not corrupt the church....We should never ever apologize for standing firm in the faith and standing for truth and being strong, but we must remember that our tone is extremely important. If truth is not offered in love, even the greatest defense of the faith in the world will fall on deaf ears."
  3. A Word of Commendation (16:15-18): "Even though people like [Stephanas and Fortunatus and Achaicus] serve mostly behind the scenes, Paul reminds the Corinthians, we should always give honor to whom honor is due."
  4. A Word of Salutation (16:19-24): "Paul closes a tough letter with words of tenderness, affection, and greetings from the churches in Asia....If possible, even when conversations are tough by their nature, it is always good to end them on a positive note that includes encouragement and exhortation. Paul actually teaches us in this chapter how to end a low conversation on a high note. He thus reminds us of the importance of maintaining personal relationships and friendships." 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - providing mercies that are new every morning and that never cease.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as you love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.