Friday, February 16, 2024

By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac[.]

 Hebrews 11

By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac[.] Hebrews 11:17a

As I continue to ponder what to study next, my Bible study this morning once again leans on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how sometimes, obedience to God feels impossible. John Piper uses the story of Abraham who was tested by God to sacrifice his son Issac (see Genesis 22). The backstory starts in Genesis 17, when God promised to Abraham (99 years old) and Sarah (90 years old) that He would give them a son and He would make a great nation from Abraham's line.  As hard as they found this to believe, Abraham and Sarah had faith that God would be faithful to this promise.  Of course, God was faithful - see Genesis 21. God then asked Abraham to sacrifice Issac - and just as he was about to do this, God called out to Abraham to stop (see Genesis 22, starting in v11).  John Piper uses this Bible story to illustrate how we may feel sometimes like nothing good can come of obedience to God.  Piper then shares how while few of us might ever be tested as Abraham was, we all face mini crises of faith where obedience may seem challenging: "[p]erhaps the command or call of God you hear just now is to stay married or stay single, to stay in that job or leave that job, to get baptized, to speak up at work about Christ, to refuse to compromise your standards of honesty, to confront a person in sin, to venture a new vocation, to be a missionary."  Of course, the answer is to lean into God...hard.  Study the Bible, get to know God intimately...pray...gather with brothers and sisters in Christ who can study with you and strengthen your faith.  

You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and strengthens me during the challenges of life.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You strengthen me, and bless me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind.  Please provide Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.