Friday, August 19, 2022

A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Proverbs 10-16

A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1

As I continue with my study of Proverbs, I wrap an examination of chapters 10-16, reviewing the key themes of week 6 from my study workbook:

  • Desire fulfilled: Proverbs 10:24 - for those who search for righteousness and wisdom, they will find its ultimate fulfillment in Jesus Christ, and there is no comparison with other pursuits that falsely claim such fulfilment
  • Atonement: Proverbs 16:6 - God demonstrating two core attributes of Himself through Jesus Christ, whose death on the cross provides atonement for our sins - an expression of God's steadfast love and faithfulness towards believers
  • Deliverance: Proverbs 11:8 - the faithful do not escape trouble and difficulties in this life, but we do in Heaven and in this life we have a God - Jesus Christ - that never leaves or forsakes and through Him we can depend on Him to help us persevere and endure
  • Childbearing: Proverbs 10:13, 17:10, 22:15, 23:13-24, 29:15 - believing parents are mandated to raise up children in the ways of the Lord
  • Watching our tongues: Proverbs 20:31 - believers are to watch what they say as this reflects what is in our heart
  • Pride: Proverbs 15:25a - we are to exalt God vs ourselves
  • Omniscience: Proverbs 15:3, 5:21, 22:12 - God sees all of what we do and at Judgement Day we are repaid for what we have done; God also watches over us as a form of love and protection
  • Divine providence: Proverbs 16:1, 9 - God is in control of all details in our lives, including the extent to which our plans come to fruition or not; we of course are not absolved of responsibility - yet an understanding of our responsibility vs God's providence remains a mystery
  • Kingship: Proverbs 16:12 - God places authority over us (i.e. Kings, managers, elected officials, etc.) but these elected officials are to work at God's direction; Christ is the ultimate King and believers are His ambassadors 

For week 6, our memory verse is Proverbs 15:1, which focuses on the folly of harsh words and how it stirs up anger.  For me this strikes a chord as I often must manage my tongue to avoid harsh words.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father - You are a great God who watches over me and protects me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a blessing.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.