Friday, August 26, 2022

The crucible is for silver, and the furnace is for gold, and the Lord tests hearts.

Proverbs 17-22:16

The crucible is for silver, and the furnace is for gold, and the Lord tests hearts. Proverbs 17:3

I continue with my study of Proverbs, and today I wrap my review of 17-22:16, week 7 from my study workbook, and as indicated yesterday, my focus for today is judgement. The study emphasizes that "God alone knows the heart of individuals, pointing to Jeremiah 17:10. Proverbs 17:3 portrays the "refiner's fire" and how God tests us and molds, and by removing impurities - often using trials and adversity as part of the process. It is through this sanctification process where God is molding us into more of His image - of course for His glory. My study states that "[w]hen God's people undergo such testing, it should be understood as God's fatherly discipline: trials work to purify the hearts of believers, conforming them to the image Christ." For additional references and to support this theme, we are pointed to Malachi 3:2 and Hebrews 12:7-11.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God and I see how Your hand in my life works, including through the refiners fire with trials and challenges.  While it may be painful - it is for my good and Your glory.  I also know that You never leave or forsake me and You never stop loving me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.