Monday, August 29, 2022

[God] saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began[.]

2 Timothy 1

[God] saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began[.] 2 Timothy 1:9

I pause on both my studies of Isaiah and Proverbs to listen to DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion - which today focuses on six blessings that are imparted to believers as they are "in Christ." John Piper lays out these six blessings and describes them as a stupendous reality to be united to Jesus Christ:

  1. In Christ Jesus, we were given grace before the world was created - 2 Timothy 1:9
  2. In Christ Jesus, you were chosen by God before creation - Ephesians 1:4
  3. In Christ Jesus, you are loved by God with an inseparable love - Romans 8:38-39
  4. In Christ Jesus, you were redeemed and forgiven for all of your sins - Ephesians 1:7
  5. In Christ Jesus, you are justified before God and the righteousness of God in Christ is imputed to you - 2 Corinthians 5:21
  6. In Christ Jesus, you have become an new creation and a son of God - 2 Corinthians 5:17    

In particular, this morning, I am drawn to Romans 8:38-39, and how being united in Jesus Christ gives me His love and that I am loved by Him with an inseparable love:

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and I am immensely grateful for how I am in Christ, bound to You, and united to You - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of any of these blessings described this morning - that are all true!  My sin is great - doubt, fear, etc. - and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.