Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions.

Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Psalm 51:1

As I continue my vacation in Maine, I maintain a pause on my studies of both Isaiah and Proverbs, and tonight and throughout my vacation I will use DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotionals - today's focuses on how David claimed hold to God's forgiveness and mercy, yet he was unaware that in His line there would be a path for Him to be "justified" and forgiven for sins through Jesus Christ. Key to understanding of this text in Psalms 51 is that David is seeking God's forgiveness after a colossal sin - adultery with Bathsheba (and subsequently conspiracy to murder her husband).  2 Samuel 12 chronicles how God sent Nathan to David to hold David accountable for this sin.  We all have these moments when we cry to God in the midst of shame and guilt - we have an incredible God who forgives sins. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Jesus, thank You for Your incredible mercies and how they are new every morning - I am not deserving of such mercies.  My sin is great and it continues...every day.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.