Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have broken rejoice....Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.

 Psalm 51

Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have broken rejoice....Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. Psalm 51:8, 12

As this is the last day of my vacation, a pause of my studies of both Isaiah and Proverbs ends today as after today I will resume one or the other - for today, I listened to DesiringGod.com's daily devotion, which focuses on sexual sin and how David sought not to address the symptoms of this sin (in his case adultery) but the root of this sin.  John Piper describes David's heart condition as a lack of "fullness of joy and gladness in Christ...God does not have the supreme place in [his] feelings and thoughts that he should." The antidote for this is closeness to God - in terms of spiritual disciplines of study of God's Word, prayer, worship, etc. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who never leaves or forsakes me - thank You Jesus.  You are my all in all!  I am not deserving of such a God...my sin is daily and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.