Sunday, August 28, 2022

For your name's sake, O Lord, pardon my guilt, for it is great.

Psalm 25

For your name's sake, O Lord, pardon my guilt, for it is great. Psalm 25:11

I pause on both my studies of Isaiah and Proverbs to listen to DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion - which today focuses on how Jesus allows us to pray David's prayer from Psalm 25:11 with new confidence. John Piper starts the devotion by describing God's "righteousness...[and]...the infinite zeal and joy and pleasure that he has in what is supremely valuable, namely, his own perfection and worth. And if he were ever to act contrary to this eternal passion for his own perfections, he would be unrighteous — he would be an idolater." He then asks what all of us as believers should frequently ponder: "How shall such a righteous God ever set his affection on sinners like us who have scorned his perfections? But the wonder of the gospel is that in his divine righteousness lies also the very foundation of our salvation. The infinite regard that the Father has for the Son makes it possible for me, a wicked sinner, to be loved and accepted in the Son, because in his death he vindicated the worth and glory of his Father."  Piper then wraps the devotion by summarizing: "God is righteous. He does not sweep sin under the rug. If a sinner goes free, someone dies to vindicate the infinite worth of God’s glory that the sinner defamed. That is what Christ did."  Amen...of course!

In between the lines, for us to more fully appreciate what God did for us, we must also acknowledge that we all sin, and we all need a Savior - Jesus Christ is that Savior.  From time to time, it is important that we reflect on this and God's amazing grace for us.  It is also important for us to be confident and assured that God forgives:

Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16

Comment and discuss this post

My Prayer: Heavenly Father, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of amazing grace, compassion, and love me.  Thank You Jesus!  Yet I know that I am undeserving - my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.