Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Many a man proclaims his own steadfast love, but a faithful man who can find?

Proverbs 17-22:16

Many a man proclaims his own steadfast love, but a faithful man who can find? Proverbs 20:6

As I continue with my study of Proverbs, remaining in chapters 17-22:16, I begin a review of these chapters (week 7) from my study workbook by focus on the themes as depicted in my workbook, starting with refuge, faithfulness, joy, and abomination.  In particular, as I reflect on Zach's first day back in school, I seek to pass on encouragement from scripture that might help him lean into Christ for support.  The temptations in the world are real and lead only to destruction and damnation if they get in the way of belief and faith in God.   One of these temptations can be found in trust in others above God as we are tempted to think that social acceptance from others is key to our identity.  This is certainly plaguing our young people and I suspect Zach as well. We should recognize this and my study workbook points out that "[p]eople's pretenses of virtue are often false, and even when virtue is proven, it falls fall short of God's standard, which is perfection....Only Christ satisfies our quest for someone to trust utterly (Hebrews 3:6)."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are faithful perfectly and I can count on You!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your faithfulness.  My sin is is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.