Wednesday, August 17, 2022

The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.

Proverbs 10-16

The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied. Proverbs 13:4

Today, I return to my study of Proverbs - moving to chapters 10-16.  Here, the first four questions for this week (week 6) from my study workbook focus on the relationship between wisdom and wealth (see Proverbs 10:1-5 and 11:28), lying and hatred (see Proverbs 10:18 and 26:28), the pitfalls of the pursuit of individual or corporate autonomy (from the Lord) (see Proverbs 12:15), and how our diligence in work (using our God-given skills/gifts) supports the work of the gospel (see Proverbs 13:4). In particular, I am working hard to ensure my 19-year old son Zach understands this last one...

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for the gifts You give me, including my ability to work - what a blessing.  It is my prayer and hope that I use these to forward the gospel by supporting my church and global/local ministries that take the Word into the world as You command it in the Great Commission.  I know I can do better by being a better worker and a better steward of what You give me to use for Your glory.  Thank You for the blessings but I am not deserving - my sin continues.  Please forgive me for my daily sin and for missing out on those opportunities to be who You intend for me.  Help me turn from my sin and overcome and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.