Sunday, August 14, 2022

David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die. Nevertheless, because by this deed you have utterly scorned the Lord, the child who is born to you shall die.”

 2 Samuel 12

David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die. Nevertheless, because by this deed you have utterly scorned the Lord, the child who is born to you shall die.” 2 Samuel 12:13-14

As my vacation continues for another few days, I pause from my study of both Isaiah and Proverbs to listen to DesiringGod.com's daily devotion, which focuses on how God took David's sins away (adultery, lying, murder, etc. - see 2 Samuel 11-12) and later God gave up His Son Jesus Christ as propitiation for the sins not just of David but for all of humanity.  The devotion outlines the struggle many have with forgiveness for grave sins like David.  Yet this is the point of course that we all sin and need a Savior and Jesus went to the cross to take the wrath of God upon Himself so that we - as believers - are forgiven and given eternal life.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who died on the cross so that I would be forgiven and have life - to the full now and for eternity.  This is the greatest gift of all time - thank You Jesus!  I am of course not deserving.  My sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.